#HAWMC – Day 25 – Red Pen Day
April 25, 2011 – Red Pen Day – Find an old post of yours from months or years ago – revise it as radically as you can. What changes did you make, what clarifications were made?
The Job - Originally posted March 27, 2007 – additions in italics, deletions in strikethrough.
Title: Person with type 2 diabetes, currently treatable (but not curable or reversible) with diet, exercise, and metformin
Supervisors (may include any of the following): Endocrinologist (if needed), Ophthalmologist, Podiatrist (when needed), Dietitian (when needed), Primary Care Physician
Job Summary: Attempts to control blood sugar with diet, exercise and oral medication, reports to supervisors on a regular basis regarding progress.
- Checks blood glucose readings 1-4 times a day without being squeamish.
- Every effort made towards fasting blood glucose below 126 mg/dl, preferably 110 mg/dl; post-prandial blood glucose below 140 mg/dl.
- Exercises for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
- Follows his/her diet within boundaries
set by dietitianset in coordination with endocrinologist, to include portion control and carbohydrate intake in moderation.
- Keep mental health in check in order to stay motivated to take care of self.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of basic math skills for carbohydrate counting.
2. Manages time wisely, communicating with co-workers and family members to allow for appointments with supervisors.
3. Communicates honestly with supervisors about concerns.
4. Attempts to exhibit self-control when faced with unexpected desserts.
Credentials (at least one of the following):
1. Family history of type 2 diabetes.
2. Body mass index (BMI) above 25 at diagnosis.