Monthly Archives: October 2012
Weekly Grace, #43.
- A rare weeknight out and about, complete with a Bears win.
- Confidence about GRE Verbal Section.
- Quiet snowy mornings on the Pearl Street Mall.
- Finding a Zooey Deschanel style wig.
- Margaritas and fake meat enchiladas.
What lies ahead.
At any one point in time, there is absolutely no way to know what lies ahead.
Three years ago, I had no clue that the twinges and the nausea I felt were signs of a serious illness only remedied through two major surgeries and hospital stays.
Two years ago, I knew my world was turning upside down; yet had no clue if or when or how it would turn right side up again.
One year ago, all I wanted to do was run away from all my problems (and all my triumphs) and be closer to family.
Today, I am relatively healthy. Today, I am relatively happy. Today, my world feels relatively stable. Today, I am creating new dreams and new plans for myself in the place I have called a second home for fourteen years.
Today, I feel closer to a future I never could have imagined three years ago. It is still scary and still weird and still difficult at times, but it is getting easier each and every day to accept what has happened.
No doubt, there will be new twists and turns. Because, after all, there is absolutely no way to know what lies ahead.
Weekly Grace, #42.
- Lunch with a friend outside work on a weekday.
- Gathering praise and making connections at work.
- Organizing, purging, shredding at home.
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
- Lazy football Sundays.
Weekly Grace, #41.
- The friendly crowd at my Bears meetup.
- The elderly orange and white cat who sleeps on my pillow now and then.
- Crab-stuffed salmon.
- Registering for the GRE.
- Getting back in the gym.
Weekly Grace, #40.
- Sushi Tuesday with a co-worker.
- Unexpected company on part of a lunchtime walk.
- Thank you’s for telling my story when I needed some validation.
- Being okay with snow in early October…and going to brunch and a movie alone.
- Flannel pajama bottoms.
What happens when No D Day and Banned Books Week coincide for a huge reader like me? A meme…
Taken from this list, I have bolded the most frequently banned and/or challenged books that I have read, noting when I first read said book.
- The Great Gatsby – High School Assignment
- The Catcher in the Rye – High School reading list
- The Grapes of Wrath - Adult
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Middle School
- The Color Purple – College
- Ulysses – College
- The Lord of the Flies – High School (on own)
- Of Mice and Men
- Catch 22 – High School
- Brave New World
- Animal Farm - High School reading list
- The Sun Also Rises – High School
- As I Lay Dying
- A Farewell to Arms - High School reading list
- Their Eyes Were Watching God – College
- Invisible Man – College
- Song of Solomon
- Gone with the Wind - High School (on own)
- Native Son - College
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Adult
- Slaughterhouse Five – High School
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- The Call of the Wild
- Go Tell It on the Mountain
- All the King’s Men
- The Lord of the Rings
- The Jungle - High School reading list
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover
- A Clockwork Orange
- The Awakening
- In Cold Blood - Adult
- The Satanic Verses
- Sophie’s Choice
- Sons and Lovers
- Cat’s Cradle
- A Separate Peace
- Naked Lunch
- Brideshead Revisited – Adult
- Women in Love
- The Naked and the Dead
- Tropic of Cancer
- An American Tragedy
- Rabbit, Run