Thanks to Scott‘s job description for a personal diabetes enforcer last summer (and probably numerous other bloggers around the ‘net), I present to you, my own job description:
Title: Person with type 2 diabetes, currently treatable with diet & exercise
Supervisors (may include any of the following): Endocrinologist, Ophthalmologist, Podiatrist, Dietitian, Primary Care Physician
Job Summary: Attempts to control blood sugar with diet and exercise, reports to supervisors on a regular basis regarding progress.
1. Checks blood glucose readings 1-4 times a day without being squeamish.
2. Exercises for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
3. Follows his/her diet within boundaries set by dietitian.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of basic math skills for carbohydrate counting.
2. Manages time wisely to allow for appointments with supervisors.
3. Communicates honestly with supervisors about concerns.
4. Exhibits self-control when faced with unexpected desserts.
Credentials (at least one of the following):
1. Family history of type 2 diabetes.
2. Body mass index (BMI) above 25.
(Go on, write your own job description! It doesn’t have to be about diabetes – it could be about a hobby or talent or status in life (i.e. stay-at-home mom, work-outside-the-home mom, etc etc). If you write one, send me an e-mail at dreaming.montana at gmail dot com with the link and I’ll start putting them in this post.)